This site uses affiliate links. Links to products and services in this post may earn me a small commission if you choose to make a purchase. This is at no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping to make this site possible!
As you’ll see pointed out in several of these self compassion quotes, showing yourself love is just as important as showing it to others!
A key element of self love is self compassion.
Practicing self compassion can make you happier, wiser, and more confident in your ability to face life’s challenges.
We could all use more of that, right?
So, without further ado, here are 33 self compassion quotes to inspire you on your self love journey.
Plus, stick around ’til the bottom of the post for 10 simple affirmations for self compassion!
Inspiring Self Compassion Quotes
1. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield
2. “A moment of self-compassion can change your entire day. A string of such moments can change the course of your life.” – Christopher Germer
3. “When we practice self-compassion in our lives, we are compelled to be more understanding and accepting toward ourselves.” – Jose Incer
4. “Question: How can you do onto others as you would like done onto you, if you are not compassionate toward yourself? Sure, it is important to be kind to others. But don’t forget to give yourself a break.” – Charles F. Glassman
5. “To be a better person, spend less time filling out your personal scorecard and more time being kind . . . to you.” – Philip Chard
6. “Circumstances vary; self-kindness does not. It is a constant.” – David R. Edwards
7. “Unlike self-criticism, which asks if you’re good enough, self-compassion asks what’s good for you.” – Kristin Neff
8. “You don’t need to wait for someone else to notice your talents before nourishing them.
You don’t need others to accept you to feel accepted.
You don’t need to wait.
You can begin, at any moment, to work on noticing, nourishing, and accepting yourself.
You can work on being a better friend to your reflection.
You can start listening to yourself like you wish other people would.
You can become curious about who you are.
You can begin to learn the language of your mind and body so that you can decode it, understand it, speak it.
You can work on understanding yourself instead of always trying to make yourself into someone else.”
– Vironika Tugaleva
9. “Always remember to give yourself the kindness, compassion and consideration you give to others.” – Miya Yamanouchi
What Is Self-Compassion Quotes
10. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.” – Christopher Germer
11. “Nurturing your self compassion is anti-oppression work within yourself.” – Joy Donnell
12. “Self-compassion is critical in accountability.
We often overcorrect by shaming and blaming ourselves or under correct by avoiding ways to face accountability directly.
Using self-compassion doesn’t mean letting yourself off the hook for missteps, but owning them and still holding space to love yourself.
Adding compassion to accountability processes decreases shame and isolation and increases growth and connection.”
– Gina Senarighi
13. “To be self-compassionate is not to be self-indulgent or self-centred. A major component of self-compassion is to be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with love, care, dignity and make your wellbeing a priority. With self-compassion, we still hold ourselves accountable professionally and personally, but there are no toxic emotions inflicted upon and towards ourselves.” – Christopher Dines
14. “Leaning on others is a beautiful act of self-compassion.” – Sally Clarke
15. “Self-compassion is key because when we’re able to be gentle with ourselves in the midst of shame, we’re more likely to reach out, connect, and experience empathy.” – Brené Brown
16. “Taking time to relax every day, spending quality time with friends, and practicing mindfulness are some of the tried and tested ways of developing self-compassion.”
– Dr. Prem Jagyasi
17. “Self-compassion is like a muscle. The more we practice flexing it, especially when life doesn’t go exactly according to plan (a frequent scenario for most of us), the stronger and more resilient our compassion muscle becomes.” – Sharon Salzberg
Self Kindness and Self Compassion Quotes
18. “We can weather disappointment in ourselves better if we act kindly towards ourselves.” – Gina Simmons Schneider
19. “Be kind to yourself. Remember that when you abuse yourself, you will experience the anger, regret, and apathy of the bully as well as the depression, anxiety, and insecurity of the victim. Whatever you do, be kind to yourself.” – Vironika Tugaleva
20. “When we think about the person whom we know we are destined to become, that person whom we want to be with every bit of fibre in us, are we supposed to kill all the persons we were in the past whom we wish to never remember, whom we wish to escape from?
Or should we turn to them with a big embrace, with a heart of compassion?
Because I had a dream, and in my dream, I was with the me whom I am going to become; she didn’t want to talk to me, look at me, she wanted to forget that she ever knew me. And it hurt me deeply to be rejected in such a way.
This made me wonder if the best way to become is by killing off all of our former selves, or if, we should compassionately understand them, not be unkind to them, not unfriend them.
How can we say that we do not discriminate others, when we want to murder all of the persons that we, ourselves, once were?”
– C. JoyBell C.
21. “The power of self-kindness can help us to heal our chronic shame and self-loathing. In a world that is often mean-spirited and cruel, a daily practice of kindness and warm-heartedness can make all the difference.” – Christopher Dines
22. “Be nice to yourself… It’s hard to be happy when someone is mean to you all the time.” – Christine Arylo
Quotes on Self Compassion & Self Love
23. “Relax your heart and let go into the infinite ocean of love within you.” – Amy Leigh Mercree
24. “Drop the people who do not value you, respect you. Life has infinite horizons. Accept yourself, love yourself, and move forward.” – Amit Ray
25. “Who can see inside the deepest recesses of your imagination and manifest those wishes into your daily experience?
Who can appreciate those subtle nuances of character you’ve acquired by overcoming your deepest fears?
Who can truly respect those things that are no longer a part of you because of all your work to release them?
Who can see the strength left behind in the wake of your unique struggles and obstacles?
Who will see you for who you are, appreciating everything that is there, everything that is not, everything that can be, if you do not?
Who else can?”
– Vironika Tugaleva
26. “Talk to yourself like a cherished friend. Treat yourself with love and care. You are perfect, just as you are.” – Amy Leigh Mercree
27. “Who will you love if not yourself? Other people? How can you love someone for anything but their raw, naked humanity? How can you say you love someone if it is not for their flaws and quirks, snorts and hurts, triggers and tears? Anything else is not love. It is idealization. And, as long as you do it to yourself, you will do it to everyone. You will not love anyone or anything until those eyes in the mirror soften up and embrace the beauty that is already within.” – Vironika Tugaleva
Quotes About Self Compassion and Forgiveness
28. “Your inner child is waiting for a genuine, heartfelt apology.” – Yong Kang Chan
29. “To forgive, we may need to open our minds to a fuller exploration of the context in which the events occurred, and feel compassion for the circumstances and everyone involved, starting with ourselves.” – Sharon Salzberg
30. “Be merciful. If it is a mess, let it be a mess.
If it feels like you can’t do this today, stay put and explore that feeling.
Let your mindfulness co-opt everything in your experience.
Unless you are in significant emotional or physical pain, stay put with no-matter-whatness.
Keep realigning with the intentions of your practice: kindness, diligence, presence, attention, relaxation.
Be a work in progress while holding this blueprint.
The feeling of its being difficult is actually the sensation of your life evolving.
– Ralph De La Rosa
31. “Remember, you have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
32. “Self-criticism, on the other hand, is anathema to self-compassion. Once we learn to stop judging ourselves, we can look upon our lesser talents with compassion.” – Karen Rinaldi
33. “Today I began to criticise myself and look at myself with a judgmental eye… but then instead of going all out in that direction, I stopped and I began to understand me.
And then I began to be patient with me.
And then I began to feel a softness in the middle of my chest.
So then I concluded that I can understand and be patient with me, just like how I am always understanding and being patient with everyone else.
Why? Because I deserve that, and more.”
– C. JoyBell C.
10 Affirmations for Self Compassion
Hopefully some of those self compassion quotes resonated with you.
If you’d like to take it a step further, try affirmations!
Affirmations are a great way to be more mindful about how you talk to yourself.
Try saying these self compassion affirmations out loud, looking in the mirror, to really drive the point home.
Here are 10 simple affirmations for self compassion:
- I am committed to showing myself compassion.
- I will extend the same love to myself that I give to others.
- Self compassion is sustaining, not selfish.
- I forgive myself when I make mistakes.
- I treat myself with myself kindness, gentleness, patience, and understanding.
- The compassion I show myself will teach me how to love others more fully, as well.
- I deserve my own compassion.
- I look at myself with the same kind of compassion a loving parent would have for their child.
- Self compassion allows me to validate my own pain in a way no one else can.
- I am valid, I am precious, I am enough.
You deserve your own compassion!
May you always find the strength to treat yourself with patience, kindness, and grace. ❤️
Self compassion is a form of self love. So is self discipline!
Speaking of self love, check out this playlist for an easy self-esteem boost!
Do you know any other good quotes about self compassion?
What about self compassion affirmations?
Drop ’em in the comments below! ⬇️⬇️⬇️